Shitton of updates for the blog!
w00t! I've added quite a lot of updates to the blog:
Let's start with the most important and most recent change: HTML5!!! Or, actually XHTML5!
I wanted to add more semantics to the markup and some elements I wanted to use (
<time/> ...) are only allowed in HTML5. Since I don't like the "native" HTML5 markup (WTF? Neither XML nor SGML based? WHY?!?), I've chosen XHTML5, which is the same thing but uses a proper XML syntax. While I am not a big fan of XML (it's sooooooooo verbose!), it's definitely better than the (IMHO) bogus HTML5 syntax. I just can't stand unclosed tags, 'mkay?
So yeah... Better semantics now, should also help search engines to properly index my page (they failed horribly before). And while I worked on this stuff, I also fixed the
Content-Type field (was
text/html before, which was wrong the whole time, since it was always XHTML. Yay, I'm sooo professional...).
Okay, now for the other improvements:
- The tagcloud in the sidebar is now sorted. Before, it was basically random (whichever position an entry had in a hashmap).
- Some CSS fixes regarding the sidebar. Is now valid code, like the rest of the page. Good :)
- The template-system can now generate output for other shells (before: only dash). I prepare open-sourcing the whole blog software. Might take some time, though: It's really messy ATM and it's not my #1 priority.
- Now only one AWK-formatting script is used for both the overview mode and full article mode. Were two scrips before. Since they did almost the same thing any way, they are now unified in one script file, the mode is passed by passing a variable with AWK's
-voption. Yay for reducing redundancy :).
- Fixed the geek code in the About Me section.
- New stuff in the sidebar:
- Bitcoin donation thingie
- Adfree button. This blog will stay ad-free!
- New "Find me on..." links
- More stupid random lines for the header.
And some stuff to make publishing easier for me:
- Some .gitignore files
- addytfav script, so I do not have to manually add links to the YouTube Favorites list.